23 Health Benefits of Cinnamon & Is It Good For Weight Loss?
Among the spices that that give a truly distinctive flavor and aroma cinnamon (Cinnamomum Verum) occupies a unique place.
Cinnamon is an excellent source of manganese, iron, calcium, copper and zinc, and experts recommend that you add this spice to coffee, fruit juices, cereals, pastries.
I’ve spent some time to write my research about Cinnamon bellow. The article is rather long, so I advice you to check the table of contents first, and pick out a topic that interests you most:
Table of Contents
- 1 Where Does Cinnamon Come From?
- 2 Healthful Effects of Cinnamon
- 2.1 Cinnamon For Skin
- 2.2 Cinnamon For Hair
- 2.3 Cinnamon For Health
- 2.3.1 10. Lowers blood cholesterol
- 2.3.2 11. Relieves pain
- 2.3.3 12. Treating colds
- 2.3.4 13. Prevention of arthritis
- 2.3.5 14. Improves digestion
- 2.3.6 15. Heart Health
- 2.3.7 16. It promotes weight loss
- 2.3.8 17. Help with menstrual problems
- 2.3.9 18. Prevents Cancer
- 2.3.10 19. Treating Diabetes
- 2.3.11 20. Treating Infertility
- 2.3.12 21. It prevents the development of neurodegenerative diseases
- 2.3.13 22. Improves brain function
- 2.3.14 23. Breath Refresher
- 3 Health Benefits From Eating Cinnamon
- 4 Different types of cinnamon – Which is good to use?
- 5 Cinnamon Nutritional Benefits
- 6 Cinnamon Tips for Weight Loss
- 7 Cinnamon Risks
- 8 Conclusion – Does Eating Cinnamon Make You Lose Weight?
Where Does Cinnamon Come From?
Sanskrits written 2800 years BC also show that cinnamon is unique. It is certainly one of the oldest spices for which even the ancient Chinese, Egyptians and Phoenicians knew.
From the Europeans, it was first discovered by the Portuguese when they occupied Ceylon. The natives of the island took it as a cure for fatigue and for boosting the energy and even smoked it and used is as scented oils.
The price of the cinnamon was incredibly high, it was expensive as gold, and the Dutch and the Portuguese led the Hundred Years War to get it. At the end of the 19th-century, cinnamon has ceased to be the England’s exclusive, and it has spread around the world.
Where Do Cinnamon Trees Grow?
As for the value of the cinnamon, the one that is grown in Madagascar, Ceylon and Seychelles is the most valued. Cinnamon grows wherever there are tropical conditions, so they have it in both India and Indonesia.
Healthful Effects of Cinnamon
Cinnamon For Skin
Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties that have a beneficial effect on the skin. Learn more about how this simple seasoning can clean your skin without the need for expensive spa treatments:
1. Treating acne, pimples, and blemishes
Cinnamon helps in removing acne and pimples on the face and body by making them dry out, and it also facilitates the supply of blood and oxygen to the outer layer of the skin.
The recipe for a mask is simple. Mix 3 tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of cinnamon. Apply to problematic areas and leave it overnight or leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash off. Repeat the process next week.
2. Softens dry skin
Cinnamon removes dead skin cells and restores the skin’s shine and suppleness. Make a scrub out of sea salts, almond oil, olive oil, honey and cinnamon for skin hydration.
Thanks to its antifungal and antibacterial properties, cinnamon improves complexion. Mash a small banana and mix it with yogurt, minced cinnamon and lemon juice. Make a paste, apply on the clean face and then wash it with lukewarm water.
3. Improves complexion
The recipe for the treatment of eczema: make a mixture of one spoon of honey, one spoon of cinnamon and apply a thin layer on the affected area. For best results, repeat the process weekly.
4. Removes fine lines
Cinnamon improves circulation and delivery of oxygen and blood to the outer layer of the skin, so the fine lines are corrected. Mix a few drops of essential oil of cinnamon with Vaseline and apply to the entire face, avoiding the eye area.
5. Prevents skin infections and treats cuts and wounds
For any skin infection make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder and apply to the affected area. Cinnamon also heals ringworm (a type of fungal infection of the skin).
For the treatment of cuts and wounds sprinkle a little cinnamon powder on the affected area. This kills germs and will lead to faster healing.
6. Softens chapped heels
Cinnamon softens rough and dry skin due to its antioxidant features. Prepare a bath for your feet out of 5 lemons, a tablespoon of olive oil, a quarter cup of milk, half a cup of water and 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon.
Soak your feet in this bath for 15 minutes to make it soft and smooth.
Cinnamon For Hair
Even in ancient times cinnamon was a prized spice because it makes hair healthy and beautiful. Cinnamon improves blood circulation so that the root of the hair and scalp get nutrients and oxygen, which makes hair strong and beautiful.
Find out why cinnamon is good for your hair:
7. Encourages hair growth
Your hair will love the combination of honey and cinnamon.
Mix one tablespoon of ground cinnamon, a tablespoon of honey, a tablespoon of olive oil and one egg. Apply the mask on your hair, leave on for 20 minutes, and then wash off with shampoo.
Use this mask once a week to get the best results.
8. Cleans the scalp
Cinnamon cleans the scalp because it acts as a peeling. The massage that cleans the scalp is made out of a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, a spoon of honey and a quarter cup of warm olive oil. Leave the mask on for 20 minutes and then wash off with the shampoo you usually use.
9. Brightens the hair
Cinnamon can lighten the hair color. Mix your favorite conditioner and cinnamon powder. Apply the mixture on the entire length of the hair thoroughly to avoid getting mottled hair as a result. Comb and untangle the hair and cover with a shower cap. Leave it overnight and wash of in the morning.
Cinnamon For Health
Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties that help in the prevention of many health problems. This powerful spice can raise your health to a higher level. Try to include cinnamon in your diet and the daily care to enjoy its wonderful benefits.
Learn more about why is cinnamon good for your health:
10. Lowers blood cholesterol
It is scientifically proven that consuming a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon a day lowers cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
11. Relieves pain
Cinnamon is widely used in the treatment of pain because it works on prostaglandin, which influences the contraction and relaxation of muscles.
12. Treating colds
Cinnamon is used in the treatment of colds and flu. Cinnamon in combination with ginger tea is very effective against colds.
Another cold medicine is a mixture of a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon and a spoon of honey. Take this mixture 3 days 2 times a day for best results.
13. Prevention of arthritis
Arthritis causes joint pain and swelling. Cinnamon relieves these symptoms. In a cup of hot water, add 2 tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon. Drink this mixture two times a day to ease the pain.
14. Improves digestion
Cinnamon dissolves fat and improves digestion. A mixture of honey and cinnamon heals stomach ulcers and reduces emissions.
15. Heart Health
Mix cinnamon powder and honey and make a thick paste. Consume this mixture every day instead of jam to reduce the risk of heart attack.
16. It promotes weight loss
Cinnamon lowers insulin resistance and three times increased the ability of insulin to process sugar. Therefore, this spice reduces the feeling of hunger and craving for sugar, which promotes weight loss.
17. Help with menstrual problems
Tea made from cinnamon helps with heavy menstrual bleeding.
18. Prevents Cancer
Cinnamon has anti-cancer properties. Mix honey and cinnamon powder with water and drink 2 times a day for 3 months to cure bone cancer and stomach.
19. Treating Diabetes
Consuming a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon a period of two months reduced blood sugar levels by 30%
20. Treating Infertility
Cinnamon contains cinnamaldehyde nutrient that increases the levels of progesterone and reduces the blood level of testosterone in women. Hormonal balance in women reduces the risk of infertility.
21. It prevents the development of neurodegenerative diseases
Cinnamon alleviates chronic inflammation that is associated with neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis.
22. Improves brain function
Regular smelling of cinnamon enhances cognitive abilities and memory.
23. Breath Refresher
Cinnamon eliminates bad breath. Chewing a few sticks of cinnamon or gargling hot water with cinnamon effectively removes bad breath.
Did all of this convince you to use cinnamon in your regular care and nutrition?
Health Benefits From Eating Cinnamon
If you are not convinced yet, here are few more important facts about Cinnamon:
How Is Cinnamon Good For Weight Loss?
Cinnamon also reduces the level of fat and low cholesterol, has fungicidal activity and eliminates fungus at the same time preventing their growth.
How Cinnamon Affects the Body?
Cinnamon has salicylate, which lowers the temperature and has an anti-inflammatory effect. The pleasant smell of this spice has stimulating effect on the brain, where chewing gum from cinnamon notably improves attention and visual experience.
What Else Is Inside?
Cinnamon is an excellent source of manganese, iron, calcium, copper and zinc, minerals that are mostly missing in most foods. It contains vitamin C, K, pyridoxine (B6) and riboflavin (B2).
Having all this in mind, experts recommend adding this spice to a variety of foods and drinks that are used every day, such as coffee, fruit juice, cereal, toast…
Is Cinnamon a Superfood?
How Cinamon Lowers Blood Sugar?
Diabetics can by taking only a teaspoon of cinnamon daily significantly reduce blood sugar levels, because its ingredients of a complex of catechins and epicatechin trigger insulin and work with it.
How Much Cinnamon to Take For Diabetes and to Lower Blood Sugar?
One study showed that continuous use of an extract of cinnamon, cinnulin, in obese people prone to diabetes results in a reduction of inflammation, less oxidative stress, and loss of fat mass. Cinnamon helps control blood sugar levels and helps insulin to work more efficiently. The reduction in blood sugar combined with an increase in insulin levels not only helps the body to lose weight but also helps in controlling diabetes.
Most of the recommendations relating to the daily amount of cinnamon for the control of diabetes problems, such as blood sugar levels, LDL cholesterol, and triglyceride levels, indicate the use of only ½ teaspoon daily. The use of cinnamon for the purpose of losing weight works because cinnamon increases body heat, which speeds up the metabolism. However, you should consult your doctor or nutritionist.
Different types of cinnamon – Which is good to use?
Although there are hundreds of species and subspecies of the plant Cinnamon, only two of them are used as spices, and that is Ceylon cinnamon and cassia known as China-cinnamon that comes from Burma. Both types of cinnamon are used in Europe.
Ceylon cinnamon in stores comes in the form of bars, has a softer and more pleasant aroma with a sharp spicy and a sweet prickly taste. It also contains one and a half to four percent of essential oils. (Here is where to buy best ceylon cinnamon)
Cassia or China-cinnamon has a sharper smell, and the taste is peppery. They are not different when it comes to chemical composition.
Cinnamon Nutritional Benefits
Cinnamon and Honey – What Are They Good For?
It is believed that cinnamon and honey in combination can help in many ways, as well as help with the problem of obesity.
- Spreading honey and cinnamon on a slice of bread for breakfast drastically reduces the risk of heart attack. Everyday use of these two foods raises the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viruses. It is enough to put a half a teaspoon of honey and a little cinnamon in a glass of water in the morning and drink it. Some claim that in this way you can achieve the perfect vitality.
- Honey mixed with cinnamon will solve the problem of a chronic cough and blocked sinuses. A glass of hot water with two spoons of honey and a teaspoon of cinnamon can cure chronic arthritis. Also, the combination of honey and cinnamon solves all the problems in the stomach, from bad breath to even ulcers. This drink is easy to make, and you should try it!
- In the states of the Far East, for centuries woman would smear a mixture of half a teaspoon of cinnamon and one teaspoon of honey on gums a few times a day to strengthen the uterus and become pregnant.
Another recipe with cinnamon is the tea.
For extended youth and vitality, you should drink tea made from cinnamon.
Four spoons of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon and three cups of water are cooked together as a tea, and then you drink it three to four times a day, a quarter of a cup per time.
At the same time, the tea from cinnamon also helps in the treatment of anemia, and you prepare it by putting a hundred grams of cinnamon (best in sticks) in a liter of water, and then cooking it on low heat until the volume of water is half less than you started with. Then you add to that one more liter of water and a kilogram of sugar. After that, you cook it until the entire amount is reduced to one liter. The medicine is then done, and you can drink it as juice or three times a day per one teaspoon.
How To Store Cinnamon?
Cinnamon is kept in tightly closed glass jars in a cold, dark, dry place. Ground cinnamon can be used for no longer than six months from the time of purchase while sticks retain freshness up to a year. You can extend that time by keeping the jar with cinnamon in the cooler.
Cinnamon Tips for Weight Loss
Cinnamon is one of the most popular and most aromatic spices on the planet. Its very attractive fragrance complements the taste of many beautiful dishes, among which are, naturally, desserts too.
Most people use cinnamon to prepare their culinary masterpieces, although just few of those people are the ones who are familiar with all of the benefits that this spice provides.
Among those benefits, there is one interesting feature of cinnamon. It can help us lose excess pounds, and can be freely classified as a natural remedy for weight loss.
Increasingly, you can hear about the cinnamon diet as a favorite way of losing excess weight.
Cinnamon is a spice that has long been used for medical purposes, in addition to being a very common flavoring in various foods. Individual studies have addressed the functioning of cinnamon in the human body. Recent results provide credibility to the claim that the use of cinnamon in the diet with the intention of removing excess weight, can be useful.
As an antioxidant, cinnamon helps fight inflammation and stress from oxidation. This has a positive effect on weight loss because stress increases cortisol levels, which in turn affects the level of blood sugar, energy levels, preference to inflammation and the function of the immune system. Too much cortisol results in weight gain, especially in the area around the stomach. If cinnamon reduces stress, it will produce less cortisol, and this is forcing the cinnamon in the diet may be effective.
Cinnamon Weight Loss Dosage
There are many ways to use cinnamon as part of a diet with the intention to lose weight.
Cinnamon Stick Recipe
Use the cinnamon stick with a cup of hot tea, or add in cocoa, coffee or cappuccino. Some users of this diet claim that not only will you have more energy, but it will also improve your mood.
Cinnamon & Honey Recipe
For a substance derived from the inner bark of a tropical evergreen tree, cinnamon has excellent characteristics and is very beneficial for the health of the human organism. One of the typical recipes for weight loss using cinnamon is a sip of hot tea with cinnamon and honey. Both cinnamon and honey are good for the health, and they are both antioxidants. Combine about a half teaspoon of cinnamon with water and place this mixture to boil. Strain and pour into a cup. Allow it to cool before adding honey to preserve the healthy features of honey, and then enjoy the tea.
Drink a single dose half an hour before breakfast and the other half an hour before going to sleep.
The recipe for this, as it can often feel miraculous potion that will help you lose weight, is very simple. You can do it in a minute and keep it in the refrigerator for as long as necessary. Every morning before breakfast, mix yourself a dose.
Following this regime, it is estimated that the user will lose three to five pounds in a week’s time without changing anything else within your feeding system. The difference in results can be reached on the type of cinnamon used, so, it’s worth to say: try different kinds of cinnamon.
Cinnamon & Honey & Ginger Recipe
A great number of women around the world are increasingly applying in various ways cinnamon for weight loss, and here are a few ideas for it. This suggested daily routine could help you make your own:
- Start your day with cinnamon. Morning tea will be even tastier if you add cinnamon to it and immediately will become a tool for weight loss. It’s even better if you also add honey to the tea. For one cup of tea, it is optimal to put 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of honey. Do not be afraid of calories contained in 2 teaspoons honey (which is about 40 kcal), as cinnamon and honey excellent cooperate in the fight against excess weight.
- In the afternoon, to the cinnamon and honey add ginger. Cinnamon and ginger are another great combinations for weight loss. These two components have become a synonym for fast fat burning. Again, use 2 teaspoons of honey in it, mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ginger. Let this serve as a magic coat for toast, when it’s time for a snack.
- In the evening, you can boil 2 dl water with equal parts of honey and cinnamon and drink that half an hour before going to sleep.
The use of cinnamon for weight loss is a relatively safe method because it is one of the very safe and non-toxic spices.
- Its use in the diet of pregnant women is permitted, although they should not use it for weight loss.
- However, as I mentioned before, you should know that cinnamon is a spice to warm your body, so you should not be using it during the fever and elevated body temperature. Caution is recommended to the people with high blood pressure too.
- Individuals with the damaged mucosa of the stomach should not consume large amounts of cinnamon on an empty stomach. Excessive doses of cinnamon in healthy people can cause a reaction of the stomach, nausea, and even vomiting.
- Some people can get an allergic reaction to cinnamon (usually in the form of rash), just like with any other substance or food, but such cases are very rare.
All in all, the spice cinnamon is safe to use and very rarely causes any side effects. However, you should always listen to your body and consult a doctor.
Conclusion – Does Eating Cinnamon Make You Lose Weight?
Cinnamon has always been considered a miraculous natural medicine. It slows the spread of cancer, protects against heart disease, and it has anti-inflammatory properties, and it is excellent for weight loss. If you want to be healthy and feel better every day, eat a teaspoon of cinnamon.
This spice obtained from the inner bark of a small, shrubby tree from the laurel family, is called a natural remedy since the days of the ancient Egyptians.
There are several types of cinnamon, and the most medicinal is Ceylon (Cinnamomum Verum).
In stores, you can usually find the Chinese cinnamon (Cinnamomum Burman Nii), which is not as healing as the Ceylon. Also, the smell of cinnamon stimulates the brain, so it is not bad to keep it on the desk.
This is the top ten reasons why you should consume it each day:
- It is full of antioxidants, which are essential in the fight against free radicals. Antioxidants slow down the aging and protect against many diseases.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties and helps in the fight against various infections and repairs damaged tissue.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease because it reduces levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides which can damage the blood vessels and increases levels of good cholesterol, which destroys the bad.
- It regulates the metabolism so that it improves insulin sensitivity, which is responsible for the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats in the body, as well as for transportation of sugar from the blood into the cells.
- Lowers blood sugar as an ingredient of cinnamon acts on cells to mimic insulin. This significantly improves the absorption of glucose into the cells, but it works more slowly than insulin alone.
- It has a positive effect on the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, which are characterized by progressive loss of structure and function of the cells in the brain. The two most common types of these diseases are Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
- Protects against cancer reduces the proliferation of tumor cells by interfering with the growth of blood vessels in tumors. It seems that cinnamon is toxic to cancer cells and kills them.
- It helps to fight bacterial and fungal infections, and for this is credited cinnamaldehyde, the main active ingredient of cinnamon. It successfully treats infections of the respiratory system caused by fungi.
- It protects against cavities and reduces bad breath, thanks to the antimicrobial effect that kills microorganisms and prevents their growth.
- Cinnamon helps in losing weight, and it is particularly effective in combination with honey. Let me remind you of a recipe; you can boil half a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of honey in a small amount of water (about 1.5 ounces). Half of this drink you can drink in the morning on an empty stomach and a half before going to sleep, and so every day.
I hope that I have helped you to make a decision to start using cinnamon on a daily basis because it is good for you and can assist you in lots of ways.
Be free to leave a comment or an opinion about this. You can also share your experience with the diet.